If you wish to keep your mouth shining brightly for many years to come, always make sure to brush twice daily and don’t forget the ever-important task of flossing daily as well. Not only can flossing help prevent gum disease and tooth decay, but it can also freshen your breath and clear out any remaining food particles that brushing alone cannot remove.
Great smiles are built on the backs of great oral hygiene habits. Here are some flossing tips to remember:
– It is suggested by the American Dental Association to clean the areas between teeth at least once per day to remove food particles and plaque buildup that cannot be easily reached by brushing alone.
– To clean between teeth, use dental floss or an interdental cleaner that is dentist-approved or has the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– When flossing, never use the same strand of dental floss more than once, as it can reinsert harmful bacteria back into your mouth.
– To floss all your teeth with one strand, opt for a piece at least 18 inches long, wrapped around a finger on each hand, with a different section of the strand being used between each tooth.
– Always look for dental floss that is shred resistant, which is often the case for floss that uses single filament thread. Although multi-filament nylon thread is more likely to shred, it is just as effective at eliminating plaque and debris.
Be sure to visit our team at Dental Arts of Catoosa in Catoosa, Oklahoma, at least twice a year for oral exams and professional cleanings. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Soren Michaelsen or Dr. Nathan Bulleigh, please call 918-937-2787 today. Come in and become a success story with a healthier, confident smile!